Molt Be Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Not about kittens

Ok. I've agreed to sit here and write something not concerning the new kittens. R is at work and I'm putting off packing for my trip to San Diego tomorrow. A whole weekend of sitting in a big conference room listening to self-important people prattle on about healthcare consulting. Sound boring? It is!
Holy crap! I just realized that the AC in our building is on. Or maybe not. I felt the usually hot vent and it wasn't it's normal scalding temperature. So I turned the thermostat to cool and now there's semi-cool air escaping from the vent. It's tough to tell if it's actually cold or just feels cold. I'll update.
Had a kickball game today. Things didn't go... well. Out team is lovable. That's about all that counts.
A kitten is currently slashing my calves. Not very cute, I have to say.
This conference in San Diego is for all of the different healthcare departments in my company from all over the country. The agenda gives us so little free time that I won't be able to even make it to the zoo for 2 hours... something I'd really like to see. What jerks for having arranged to have mandatory sessions, lunches and dinners all day on a Friday and Saturday and then want us back to work on Monday. Jerks I tell you! I may just have to initiate the nuclear option and play sick on Saturday (I'd love to, but stupid ethics will keep me from it, I'm sure).
My only real option to take in any of San Diego will be to go for runs in the mornings or evenings. All employees are encouraged to attend binge-drinking sessions in the evenings, so this will make morning runs a bit tough to swing. I think I might skip the drinking this year, though. I work with these people all day. The last thing I really want to do is go out drinking with them at night... that's what friends are for.
Let's see... what else is new. Arianna Huffington started a celebrity blog. Now you can know what the drama-kids and losers from high school think about current events. I kid. I kid. But seriously, just because they're actors or rich people doesn't mean that their opinions are worth something. I guess that's the point of a blog, though. It's not like my opinion is worth something... and I was half a drama-kid in highschool anyway. What I don't like are the posts where celebrities try to sell you on a cause. That's not what blogs are for. That's what your publicist or your marketing guy are for. Blogs are for babbling about meaningless tripe, not for using your celebrity status to encourage people to give X to save Y (actually, Y is in danger. Please give to Y).
The whole Cessna over the whitehouse thing made the day a bit interesting. R called me at work to expalin that two fighter jets had just flown over the apartment. I'm not one to panic, so I didn't take it too seriously. I really wish that there was a better warning system in place for telling people what the heck is going on before F-16s start flying over their apartments, but I think it's pretty great that the jets were onto the plane by the time it was within 3 miles of downtown. Now, if it was a passneger jet instead of a cessna, I have to wonder if it would have been caught in time. I'm just a doubting Thomas, really. The no-fly zone around DC can only be so big, so you can't expect jets to be onto a plane immediately. Either way, it was loads of fun listneing to the WTOP radio reporters freak out about a cessna. Alright, that's all I've got.

No comments: