Molt Be Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2004

This blog is for CA, since he's the only reader and is now forcing me to blog at work where I will undoubtedly be punished harshly in my upcoming review.
This article talks about one of the government expenditures that pisses me off the most. I've said it before and I'll say it again: the logical argument behind a missle defense program is a leftover from the cold war and does not apply to today's world. Just like Bush's token attorney general appointee said about the Geneva Convention, missle defense does not apply to the "war on terror".
Terrorists have a hard enough time finding AK-47s to shoot around, let alone intercontinental ballistic missiles. This program is a Reagan-era leftover and I can only guess that it's being completed because of campaign promises to defense contractors.
That only five of the eight tests have worked is disturbing enough, but add to that the fact that for those tests we've known exactly when and where one missle was launching from and its exact trajectory. We still missed three of them.
I'm no rocket scientist, but this seems a lot like the game of throwing one rock in the air and trying to hit it with another. This game is pretty hard even if you know when and where your friend is throwing the rock that you're trying to hit. I can only imagine how difficult it would be when you don't know where and when the rock will be thrown from and only 5 of your eight rocks are throwable.
What we have is a good start towards something totally unneccesary.
I know what you're thinking: "How often has he played that rock throwing game and where can I find the rules online?"
It took me ten hours at work to write this between ridiculous assignments. I left work at 9pm and I got there at 9am. That's pretty sad. I wonder if the link still works...

No comments: