Molt Be Blog

Monday, December 05, 2005

Open Letter to Netflix

Dear Netflix,
Hi! I love your service! I brag about it to people and am a complete convert from the normal way of renting movies. I even opted out of the class action letter that came around because I didn't want to be part of a group that hated on Netflix.
But: I recently told a friend who also uses Netflix, "I never watched the show 'Lost' and I think I'm going to start watching it. I'm going to get the first season on Netflix."
I proceeded to put the first season of Lost in my queue, moved it to the top and began waiting anxiously.
The next day, my friend told me that she too had added 'Lost' to her Netflix Queue.
Two weeks ago, she received the first Disc of 'Lost', enjoyed it thoroughly and then started to tell me about secret plot twists, big dogs running around and other spoilers.
I can't blame Netflix entirely for my having found out this information before seeing the show, but I must hold you partially responsible as I really should have received the disc first.
My friend lives a block away, so I don't imagine that she received the disc first because of her location.
I have yet to receive the first disc of "Lost". I understand that you only have so many copies of a movie and that a "Long Wait" does not denote any specific unit of time for which I'll have to wait. I'm a little disappointed, but I understand.
My suggestions (finally) is that you stick to a first-come, first-serve basis. I can only assume that your databases are set up to do this anyway, so maybe there's a problem with my account that's conflicting with my renting "Lost". What gives?
Thank you for your attention to this matter and please contact me if you have any questions or would like to read aloud the scripts for any of the episodes.

Sincerely,
[name redacted]
elgreg@gmail.com

No comments: