Molt Be Blog

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The Blogger's Dilemma

Given the title, I might as well cut straight to the chase: should I be blogging everything?
The main problem is that this website lacks the anonymity that would make it possible to really write down everything I think. If that anonymity were around, I could write nasty things about you. Yes you. The person reading this right now.
I could also write things about my job that are more detailed than "work sucks". (Then again, is there really that much more to say?)
I wonder if people writing autobiographies have this same problem... Memoir writers too... though, I think they have an easier time of it for some reason. How much can authors write about the same people that they know will end up reading what they've written without hurting their feelings or just feeling guilty.
It's not like I suddenly thought of someone this evening that I really wanted to write about and started on this tirade. I think I was thinking more generally about how some people at work had found out that this site exists and might be reading it. Something in the back of my head makes me think that I might have to start self-censoring about certain topics if these people that I interact with "professionally" are going to be reading this. And then I get pissed off and think that I should be free to say whatever I want and not let what others might think or say affect what new stupid comment I have on a web page. This must be how real authors do it. They must not give a shit what the people reading what they're writing think. If you ask me, that's insane and requires a certain type of person. Maybe that's why they're writers and not Healthcare Consultants who wish they weren't Healthcare Consultants.
Then again, a blog isn't supposed to be a deep personal journey into somebody's emotions. Those should be reserved for a) diaries, b) psychologists, c) drunken rantings, d) the blogs of 13 year olds or e) interviews on E! True Hollywood Story. (Rose and I no longer have a television. That reference took a lot out of ye 'ole memory banks.)
I'm going to turn into one of those people who brags about not owning a television unless we get one really, really soon. [I just spent twenty minutes pricing different television on pricewatch.com and got disgusted with how much sweet flat panels cost... then I started pricing out a Mac at mac.com and then I started pricing out the RAM to go with the new Mac back over at pricewatch again... so much wasted time.]
I highly recommend checking out Time's list of the 50 best sites of 2005, it's definitely worthwhile. The New York Public Library digital gallery is actually a really well designed and coherent site. Bless those librarians, what with the protecting of the free speech and their love of all things internet and information and whatnot.
I also played some of the (sorry) lame games on orisnal.com. I couldn't make them, but they're still not nearly as fun as Grand Theft Auto or a lot of the games found at channel4.com. Hrm... ok. I should really go to bed.
greg out

No comments: