Molt Be Blog

Thursday, November 20, 2003

It's just like me to complain about not having a job for two months and then complain about working too much when I finally get one. So, may I entertain the idea of being just like me for two sentences? Man, what the hell happened when I find myself having already worked forty hours on a Thursday night. Not to mention the fact that I'm working tomorrow AND saturday.
Ok, enough of that. Having been moved to the new cube, life is quite different around the office. Things are really, really quiet. I haven't figured out anything bad about this, except that now I have to be quiet too. I did get my own phone, with my own voicemail, which I immediately put a dissappointing message on, but couldn't muster the energy to replace it with something better. I also got connected to the company e-mail and instant messenger system that comes along with Lotus Notes. The instant messenger thing could really be done without. As soon as you sign on, everybody knows that you're in the office and have remembered to sign onto the instant messenger thing. After that, there's no professional way to not be found online for the rest of the day. Everyone will know that you're away from your desk (possibly slacking off) if you leave an away message, but if you sign off altogether, everyone knows that you didn't forget about the program's existence. It's awful. Awful. Awful. Awful. Ok. It's not that bad.
Today was my first time using Lotus Notes. After a few hours of stupiding around I learned that Notes is just like Outlook and other e-mail programs, except the vocabulary is different. Instead of a "letter" or "message", you write a "memo". Instead of "synchronizing", one "replicates". I'm so smart it sickens me.
At the new cubicle I also have access to a different little kitchen and work on a different side of the building with different elevators and a different bathroom. It's like a different office, but with several similar (ok. the same) mindless tasks to do it also feels a lot like the same office... which it is. The best part about the new cube is that the bathroom is only 10 feet from my desk. That's way better than the 50 feet I had to walk at my old desk.
What on earth am I rambling on about?

No comments: